What I made {Sunday Dinner | Ravioli Soup with Sausage}

March 17, 2014

Hi friends!
 
Happy Monday!!
 
I'm looking forward to some warm weather this week! I have had a cold for
 
over a week now and I am so ready for sun and warm weather!!
 
Today I have an excellent recipe to share with you. If you are Italian like
 
myself you know that pasta is sort of a big deal on Sundays, at least in our
 
family it is!! Sunday has always been "family" day in my family since I can
 
remember. When I was little we would spend Sundays at my grandparents
 
and there was always food! Whether dessert, dinner or a snack you had to
 
eat something! Can you relate??
 
Ever since my mom passed away almost four years ago, my dad and his
 
girlfriend come up for dinner every Sunday. I have to admit it is my favorite
 
day of the week! I don't really cook big meals during the week because my
 
husband has long work hours and usually doesn't get home until way after
 
dinner time, so Sundays are the perfect time for me to get my cooking on
 
and try out all those recipes I pinned on Pinterest! I have a board
 
specifically for recipes that I know my dad would enjoy. He is a very picky
 
eater and really doesn't eat chicken or fish, so pasta and meat it is!
 
Last night I used this recipe for reference for a ravioli soup. I doubled
 
the recipe and added some of my own ingredients to make it into a soup
 
and it was a hit!
 
 
 
Ravioli Soup
 
servings 6-10
 
Ingredients:
 
2 lbs Italian Sausage (1 hot, 1 sweet) castings removed
 
1 Large white onion
 
1 Stick butter
 
6 Cloves fresh garlic
 
2 tsp garlic powder
 
1 tbs Italian seasoning
 
2 tbs tomato paste
 
2 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
 
2 (12- ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes with juice
 
2 (14- ounce) packages frozen cheese ravioli
 
2 cups Mozzarella cheese
 
3 cups water or chicken broth
 
 
Instructions:
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
 
In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, melt butter and sauté onions and garlic.
Remove sausage from castings and add to onions and garlic making sure to
crumble sausage as it cooks.
 
Once sausage is fully cooked and no longer pink add tomatoes with juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste. Cook sauce about 20 to 30 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
 
Stir in ravioli and add 3 cups of water or chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cover, reduce heat and simmer until ravioli is cooked (about 15min).
 
Remove from heat, top with mozzarella and place into oven and let cook a little loner until cheese has melted into the soup.
 
Serve immediately and enjoy!!
 
That's it! Super simple and delicious!!
 
I'll be back Wednesday with another wish list!!
 
 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Your comments mean a lot so please share!! I'll be sure to answer any questions I can!!